The 2011 committee was formed by a group of developers who had significant input to Shen. They act as guarantors for the future development of Shen. all 2011 committee members are moderators in the news group. The 2011 committee is as follows.
|Dr Mark Tarver||chairman of the committee||Graduate of the Universities of Reading, Oxford, Warwick and Leeds, Dr Tarver is the originator of Shen and the current license holder. He built and maintains the Common Lisp ports for Shen.|
|Dr Willi Riha||committee member||Graduate of the University of Vienna and Ph.D. in Mathematics and Astronomy, and formerly lecturer in Comparative Programming Languages at the University of Leeds. He is the creator of the maths library for Shen.|
|Bruno Deferrari||committee member||Bruno built and maintains the Scheme port of Shen. He also hosts the github mirror for Shen releases.|
|Mark Thom||committee member||Mark built and maintains the Haskell port of Shen.|
|Aditya Siram||committee member||Built and maintains the Elisp/Emacs port of Shen. Speaks about Shen at various conferences.|
Emeritus Former MembersWe'd like to recognise the following emeritus former members of the committee who served their time and made significant contributions to Shen.
|Vasil Diadov||former committee member||Vasil is a graduate of the Moscow Institute of Electronic Technology and technical director of IRIS Ltd. Vasil funded much of the construction of Shen and hosted the original Shen applications repo on Github.|
|Kian Wilcox||former committee member||Kian is an independent researcher and programmer in the Bay area. He ran the private kernel repo for Shen releases which has since moved to a public area in github.|
|Hakan Raberg||former committee member||Hakan is an independent consultant who works largely in Clojure. He built the Clojure and JVM ports for Shen.|
|Carl Shapiro||former committee member||Formerly of GENSYM corporation and Franz Inc, now senior engineer at Google working on the Android project. Carl influenced the design of Shen.|
|Greg Spurrier||former committee member||Greg built and maintained the Ruby port of Shen.|
Legal Status and Rules of the Committee¶
The committee exists purely as an advisory body until the decease or incapacity of Dr Mark Tarver. In that event, with Dr Tarver ceasing to be chairman, the following procedures and rules will be put into effect.
- The committee will elect a new chairman by majority vote.
- All particulars relating to Lambda Associates, the Shen website (shenlanguage.org), the Shen Google Newsgroup and the Paypal account, including passwords, will be sent to the chairman.
- The BSD license will be retained on the Shen sources but control of the Shen specification will be given to the committee.
- All published materials on Shen written by Mark Tarver will be given as pdf to all members of the committee to be distributed as they wish.
- As copyright holder the committee will be empowered to change the Shen specification. Such a change requires a majority vote of the committee. By ‘majority vote’ we understand that the majority of the whole committee must be in favour of the motion.
- In the event of a tie, the chairman has the casting vote.
- In the event of the death or resignation of the chairman, the committee will elect a new chairman by majority vote.
- The numbers in the committee shall not be less than 5 or more than 12. In the case that numbers fall below the minimum, the committee shall elect by majority vote a new member.
- Membership of the committee shall require past service to the Shen project. Anybody is eligible for election to the committee, but selection must depend on a majority vote in favour.
- To retain membership of the committee, at least one post needs to be made to the Shen News group within a 6 month period.
- In the event that system of voluntary payments to Shen is retained, the proceeds should be used to further the dissemination of Shen in a way that is agreeable to the committee. The chairman is guardian of this account and should be prepared to share information with the committee members about it, but the monies therein are to be dispensed only at the behest of the majority vote.